Big Brothers-Big Sisters of PEI
ASSOCIATIONS - NOT FOR PROFITYOUTH SERVICES/DEVELOPMENT
Many children on PEI struggle with societal barriers and face adversities in their lives. This comes at a cost to the young people and to society. With the support of a mentor, these risks can be reduced or even avoided, and youth can reach their full potential. When we have healthy, happy young people in our community, everyone benefits.
Our mentors advise and challenge their mentees, act as their champions, provide greater consistency in their lives, and connect them to broader experiences, opportunities and networks.
Big Brothers Big Sisters programs are designed to give young people the confidence to achieve more. Our current programs include:
• Traditional Mentors (Big Brothers, Big Sisters, and Big Couples) spend 2 to 4 hours bi-weekly with a child. Mentors provide guidance and build a child’s confidence.
• In-School Mentors spend an hour a week with a child at school. Mentors improve a child’s self-esteem and academic performance.
• Teen Mentors from Intermediate & High Schools act as In-School Mentors to younger children at nearby schools.
• Go Girls & Game On are group programs that focus on physical activity, healthy life choices, communication skills, and self-esteem.
• Kids n’ Kops: our one-week summer program with the Charlottetown Police Department, promotes trust with local law enforcement (when numbers permit).
.Launch Your Life:Post-secondary/ career awareness: Available for youth ages 14-18 and 10-24
Through friendship, guidance, and sharing, our Mentors change the life of a child one hour at a time. Imagine who they can become because of you!